Name: Nicholas Karafilis
Major: IST and Integrative Arts
Position: Schreyer Honors College Academic Representative
- Expansion of Immigrant Student and DACA Student Resources
- Given the uncertainty of national immigration policy, the UPUA should work to hold conversations with legislators and Penn State administrators to find solutions for those affected by this issue. Advocacy sessions, such as Capital Day and Big Ten on the Hill, should include efforts for immigration reform, and conversations with university administrators should include DACA students and international students in an attempt to adequately address their needs in regard to housing, legal services, and other educational and social components.
- Increased Awareness of Valuable Student Resources
- Accessibility to resources such as University Park Police, CAPS, the Women’s Resource Center, and UPUA-sponsored roundtables and programs, among others, is of the utmost importance in providing necessary comfort and satisfaction to one’s college experience. This includes contact information being posted on the backs of residence hall doors, advertisement of UPUA events in computer labs, and shortcuts on university computers to such resources as well.
- Reporting Incidents
- Currently, five separate offices deal with reports of unfortunate incidents – everything from sexual assault to discrimination to acts of violence. I am advocating for the creation of a single online reporting resource that takes out the guesswork for students and allows information to be confidentially sent to the appropriate office so students can receive the best help available given their circumstances and situation.
None at this time.
Penn State Singing Lions, Accompanist
Penn State Thespians, General Member
Penn State Glee Club, General Member
Penn State Lion Ambassadors, General Member