My name is Jake Springer, and I’m currently a sophomore here at University Park. I’m currently in the pre-major education program, although I’m planning to enroll in Secondary Education. I also am double majoring in CAMS, which has allowed me the fantastic opportunity to become a Schreyer Honors Scholar. I’m also minoring in Latin and Jewish Studies. I’m from West Chester, PA (the classic “right outside of Philly”).
As an At-Large representative, I will work to improve the lives of all students, whether senior or prospective.
- An issue that all students deal with is the troubling, and often rigid, general education system. This poorly designed requirement has led to students dropping majors and sacrificing personal interests for a degree. I have and will continue to work for a general education system that provides “integrative” courses. These will let a student enroll in a course more specific to their interest, as they will be interdisciplinary; This allows students to maneuver around the different domains (GH, GS, GN, GA, etc.).
- While not all students at University Park have transferred from a commonwealth campus, the plight of these students affects us all. I will fight to create a system through which commonwealth transfer students can feel more prepared before and during their stay here on campus. For example, create a mentoring program in which established students can help transfer students through any struggles they may face, and provide them with connections they need to succeed at University Park.
- Lastly, I will fight to establish and foster a greater connection between all Penn State Alumni and the Student Body.
- Blue & White Society: Secretary/Alumni Director
- Student Organization Resource Team: Recruitment Chair
- Penn State Learning : Writing Tutor