My name is Helia Hosseinpour and I am a freshman Psychology-Neuroscience major from Kingston, Pennsylvania and originally from Iran. I am very passionate about student government and advocacy for students and currently sit on the Freshman Council, the Governmental Affairs committee, and the Academic Affairs Committee of UPUA. I have worked and collaborated on a number of projects including advocating for higher state funding, increasing emergency management procedures and civic engagement, promoting the advising report which contains recommendations for a better advising system, allocating classes for international students, freshman forgiveness, and advocating for diversity and inclusion. I have gained a great amount of knowledge about Penn State and have created great connections with faculty and administrators through my experiences. I am absolutely enthusiastic to dedicate myself and continue advocating as a representative of the student body. I hope to obtain your support in this election.
- Mandating AEDs: Out of 933 buildings Penn State has only 88 buildings that have AEDs. This creates a concern because the American Heart Association recommends an AED to be placed within 3 minutes of a cardiac arrest patient, however, many buildings on campus may not even have one available. So something that I will continue on doing is to work to increase the number of AEDs, starting with the renovated and high traffic buildings.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Penn State’s “All in” campaign has been very beneficial. What can add on to it is if we take further steps to turn the discussions into actions by providing diversity training programs during NSO, develop a co-curricular program for students to learn effective communication with the minority about sensitive topics, and engage the board of trustees in diversity programming.
- Legislative Outreach procedures: In order to keep an active presence in Harrisburg and increase student interest in advocacy I will work on a Student Perspectives page that can contain student’s personal stories and inputs on issues that directly impact them, which will need the attention of the state government, and host a “State Day” in which the stories can also be shared with the legislators on that day.
Other Involvement/Time Commitments:
- Office for Student Orientation and Transition Programs: Orientation Leader
- Developmental Personality Neuroscience (DEPENd) Laboratory : Research Assistance
- Penn State International Affairs and Debate Association: Member