Initiatives I hope to work on if elected include:
- Bilingual Communication
- As it currently stands the University makes no effort to communicate with families in the language of their preference. I have began meeting with administrators about this issue and I hope to continue to push this through various offices including admissions, BURSAR, and financial aid.
- Diversity Required Course
- In a country that is known for being a melting pot of cultures, cultural awareness is becoming more and more important. As an institution of higher education I believe Penn State should challenge its students to think critically about their identity in hopes of creating a more welcoming environment for all students.
- Advocating to the Borough to allow for the creation of more Residential housing options downtown.
- As it currently stands there are zoning laws that limit the creation of residential housing downtown. This causes for higher rent rates of downtown housing and forces many students to live further from campus which is added transportation cost. I would like to advocate to the borough to change zoning restrictions to allow for the creation of new residential properties.
Mini-Bio (Picture Attached)
My name is Tomas Sanchez and I am a freshman majoring in Political Science and Sociology. I was born and raised in North Philadelphia to two Puerto Rican parents. Throughout my childhood my parents stressed community involvement but I never understood why until a few years ago. I realized that though my neighborhood may not be the best, but it was filled with good people and potential to be better. This led me to come to Penn State to get the tools necessary to repair my community. Coming to Penn State, I immediately fell in love with the university and wanted to know what I could do to make it better. After getting the position as Freshman Representative in UPUA, I found myself to be an advocate for the Penn State student body, especially for those part of historically marginalized communities. I hope to continue to work on my initiatives as an At-Large Representative in the 12th Assembly.
I am involved with Latino Caucus as a general body member, as well as a Mentee in Blueprint.